It’s important to always remember that some of the foods you love might be foods harmful to dogs. Or perhaps it is more accurate to say that while certain foods have little apparent effect on you, they can have a dramatic effect on your dog.
The one that most people are aware of is chocolate. You probably love it, but never give chocolate to your dog. Even a small amount will probably result in diarrhea, or an upset stomach at least. A large amount of chocolate can produce an irregular heartbeat. Too much chocolate can kill a dog!
Of course, it isn’t just chocolate. There are other ‘human’ foods harmful to dogs. If you’re in the habit of occasionally tossing a tidbit of something you like to eat to your dog, read on… Here are 10 foods harmful to dogs that we humans think are really tasty:
1 – Dogs and alcohol don’t mix
You know that too much alcohol is bad for you. Well, even a little alcohol is very, very bad for your dog. It can:
- depress the central nervous system
- decrease coordination
- cause diarrhea
- cause vomiting
- cause breathing difficulties
- induce tremors
- cause abnormal blood acidity
- induce coma
- kill your dog
Your dog will probably lick up some spilled beer if you let him or her. But do not let it happen. If you know your dog has ingested alcohol, get help. Contact your veterinary clinic immediately, or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. Alcohol is a poison. We don’t refer to being drunk as intoxicated for nothing. The word has “toxic” in it – that’s the clue!
2 – Dogs, milk and other dairy foods don’t mix
Milk contains lactose, which needs the enzyme lactase to break it down. Dogs don’t have enough amounts of lactase to deal properly with milk and other dairy-based products. When dogs ingest these foods it can cause all kinds of digestive upsets. It can also cause diarrhea.
Of course, like all the foods we regularly eat, dogs love milk. They love cheese, yogurt, and other dairy foods too. However, these are foods harmful to dogs, so don’t feed them to your pet.
3 – Dogs and Xylitol REALLY don’t mix
OK, you’re wondering, what is Xylitol? It’s an artificial sweetener found in many products. It’s supposed to make them a more healthy choice, being sugar-free. You can find Xylitol in chewing gum, candies, and even toothpaste. The real danger lies in the fact that it can also be found in peanut butter.
Dogs love peanut butter. Generally speaking, peanut butter is good for your dog. Just make sure the peanut butter you choose doesn’t contain Xylitol or chocolate. Peanut butter is a good source of healthy fat, and a good source of protein for your dog too.
If your dog ingests peanut butter with Xylitol, it can lead to liver failure through insulin release. The release of insulin leads to lowered sugar levels or hypoglycemia. The initial signs of toxicosis you should look out for include:
- a general lethargy
- sudden vomiting
- a coordination loss
- the onset of seizures
Within just several days, liver enzymes will become elevated, and liver failure will be imminent. Check the label on any package of peanut butter you buy carefully if you intend giving any of it to your dog.
4 – Dogs and blue cheese don’t mix
This may sound like it fits into number 2, milk and other dairy foods, but it doesn’t really. Blue cheese is different from other cheeses. Dogs won’t feel much effect from small quantities of ordinary cheese, but blue cheese is different.
Blue cheese contains roquefortine C, and dogs are particularly sensitive to it. Roquefortine C will cause your dog to vomit and have diarrhea. It will also cause tremors, twitching and a high temperature. Your dog may have seizures as well and will need urgent medical attention. This is especially so if he or she has consumed a large quantity.
5 – Dogs, raw meat, eggs, and bones don’t mix
Raw meat and bones might seem like things a dog would find in the wild, so why are they a problem? Raw or undercooked meat can contain Salmonella and E. coli, which make them foods harmful to dogs. Bones, while usually associated with dogs, can splinter and cause injury. Yes, this can happen in the wild too, but you are responsible for your pet. Is it worth the risk?
Eggs have an enzyme called avidin. This leads to a decrease in biotin absorption, and that can cause problems with the skin and coat.
6 – Dogs, salt, and salty food don’t mix
If your dog takes too much salt, sodium ion poisoning can develop. If your dog takes too much salt, these are the signs to look out for:
- high body temperature
Too much salt for your dog can result in death. Yes, your dog will love potato chips. He or she will gobble them up with gusto, but don’t do it. The same goes for any other snacks that are salt-heavy.
7 – Dogs, grapes, and raisins don’t mix
There’s a substance in grapes that causes toxicity in your dog, but we don’t know what it is. It’s simply best to avoid giving your dog grapes or raisins.
While we don’t know what the toxic substance is, we do know what it does. It can cause liver failure in dogs, so it’s best avoided.
8 – Dogs, coffee and caffeine don’t mix
The problem is a substance called methylxanthines. Methylxanthines is found in cacao seeds, which is used to make coffee, and also chocolate. These are some of the worst foods harmful to dogs. When a dog ingests methylxanthines it can cause:
- excessive thirst
- excessive urination
- abnormal heart rhythm
9 – Dogs, onions, garlic, and chives don’t mix
Dogs eating these foods can lead to them having red blood cell damage and anaemia. These foods can cause stomach and gut irritation too. Onions are particularly bad for dogs. The signs of toxicity can often only show a few days after they have eaten the vegetable. While you may keep onions away from your pet, think about left-over pizza containing onions. There are other foods that might contain garlic or onions, so be careful giving them to your pet.
10 – Dogs and macadamia nuts don’t mix
If your dog eats macadamia nuts, he or she will become weak and depressed. Vomiting and tremors will also set in with an increase in body temperature. These symptoms can last as long as 48 hours, and will probably last at least 12 hours.
After reading about all the foods a dog should never eat, you may be thinking that commercial dog food is the only safe thing to give your dog. Well, not really… Check this link to see what I mean!